Description

The origin of the Hoysalas is a matter of much interesting speculation and controversy. Like their distinguished contemporaries, the Seunas, the Hoysalas too claim their descent from Yadu (Lunar Dynasty) and call themselves the Yadavas. The conventional titles like, "Yadavanarayana", "Yadavakutambrad-yumani" and "Dvaravatipura-varadhisvara" are common to both the Seunas and the Hoysalas. These details are compiled from internet and by various sources by the Blogger over the years.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Narasimha Temple, Nijagallu, Tumkuru Taluk, Tumkur District.

The Narasimha temple in Nijagallu Betta is one of those forgotten monuments. So much so that its name was not part of the list of ancient monuments. Situated close to Dobbaspet on the Bangalore-Tumkur road (NH 4), the hill is also called Siddhara Betta, as the 'Siddhas' were once believed to have meditated on its slopes.


The Narasimha Temple stands between the base and summit of the hill. One can get there by taking a left from the over bridge near Dobbspet bus stand. The visitor will have to take the small steps carved on the rock.

The ancient fort on the hill may have been built by Mysore king Chikkadevaraja Wodeyar in 1690-1694 AD, but now only the outer wall remains. And after crossing the small Darga the temple will be visible. There is a small fresh water pond called akka tangi in front of the darga, which is named after Syed Badshah Shah Kareem, a Sufi saint.

There is no precise history of the shrine, but carvings on the outer wall are similar to the Hoysala architecture and the temple itself resembles the Thirunarayana Shrine in Melkote. Localities believe it to be a Hoysala structure. It's shocking to notice the frontal being covered by thick overgrowth; entering the temple is therefore possible only from the left side.

However, the interiors of the temple are intact and in a good condition. There is a mantapa with fine carvings of Jaya and Vijaya, the two dwarapalakas of Vaikuntha, near the entrance. One enters the empty garbhagruha through a passage, which may have been built for the worshippers. The idol of Narasimha was shifted to a temple in nearby village.

Another fortification on the hill starts from the temple and goes on to the summit, where more monuments are located.

The hill contains another Darga (on the back of the temple). There's also a Shiva temple with statues of Ganesha, Subramanya and Veerabhadra on the outer wall. Inscriptions near the temple dating back to 1698 attribute the hill-fort to Chikkadeva. From here the scenes of the other hills are spectacular.

There is a cave temple dedicated to Lord Shiva with carvings of dikpalakas and Nataraja.

In 1771 AD Marathas led by young Peshwa Madhav Rao attacked this region. Hyder Ali was the army chief of Mysore and his forces were defeated. The battle took place in Nijagallu.

2 comments :

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are there no snaps of this temple

    ReplyDelete